The biggest collection of MySpace 2.0 Layouts online
MySpaceLayouts

Sunday, August 3, 2008

I Wish I was a Cowboy Y'All!


So, Having spent the last 3 weeks in Oklahoma City, and with 14 remaining, here's an update.  I suspect reading of blogs has decreased exponentially upon the release of Breaking Dawn, but I personally am taking a reading break to bring you this blog.  The way the FAA training is set up right now, the first 5 weeks are Air Traffic Basics-I am currently in this portion of it and doing well.  It started easy but has quickly intensified to low and high altitude and approach aviation maps(see pic above) and has been challenging because its quite new to me, but the next 40 hours are "Weather" so I can take a little mental break and catch-up.  The National Weather Service actually comes and presents a whole weather portion of training-many of the people in my group are excited for me to help them understand Meteorology, hopefully I don't disappoint.  I FREAKIN' love the weather, and I already miss not studying meteorology, but have been told by the FAA that my knowledge will help me be a better Air Traffic Controller.  I'm VERY  glad that I decided to finish my degree though and I can't describe how lucky I feel to have gotten that chance to do what I said I would do back in 3rd grade.  Taisley is the most amazing part of making that all happen.  She is really something-I am a lucky man!!  I really miss her!  I was on the night shift last week, which is 3 p.m. to midnight.  I loved it because it made time go by quicker.  But tomorrow morning, its back to the 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.  The shift work will take some getting used to when I actually begin at Salt Lake Center.  So, the dude I live with(rent a room from) is selling his house.  He knocks on my door yesterday morning and gives me $20 to leave and have lunch just so he can show the house-not a bad deal for me.  I did see Step-Brothers and am WARNING all to stay away.  Learn from my mistake!  I assumed it was PG-13, but you know what happens when you assume (make an ass out of you and me).  It is rated R and was very bad-I really should have walked out and I have felt guilty for 30 hours.  On the flip side, I watched "The Bucket List" and it was much better-best movie I've seen (excluding of course Batman:Dark Knight) in a while. Also worth mentioning is on my way out of a BBQ Buffet last night at a local casino, I won $144.04 on a Wheel of Fortune slot machine-I was not sure how to feel as it had only been 3 hours since "Step-Brothers" but it brought a child-like grin to my face(and a tiny bit more guilt).  But, aside from the Excessive Heat Warning in effect (107 degrees and 109-110 heat index) and the Texas/Oklahoma accents which I am falling in love with, that is it.  My lead instructor is a retired Tower guy from Austin, TX and wears matching boots, polyester old man cowboy pants, bolo ties, suit jackets with cowboy elbows (you know what I mean) and smokes!  Its like a short Marlboro man!  Makes me laugh every day.  Deep down I wish I was a cowboy- I do.

2 comments:

The Weston's said...

pook - you make me want to laugh and cry... and other stuff all at once- come home dangit!

We in Minnesota said...

Warren, you would love the weather here in Minnesota. One minute it is beautiful, sunny and then all hell can break loose. We have had some amazing storms. Hey, you could move here. There is a house across the street from us, right on the lake. It has been empty since it was built about 2 years ago. The neighbor owns it. He really doesn't need to sell it, he sold his company so he could retire. His company sold for about 70 million dollars CASH.
Anyway, the house would probably be a steal at $500,000.00

If you get a job offer in Minnesota, take it. It really is beautiful here.

Lisa Amott