Today's morning was spent in the Jewish cooridor. It is literally a hop skip and a jump outside our hotel. There is a cool scene in Steve Berry's book The Columbus Affair where the main character climbs atop the Old New Synagogue and scales up the side on the roof access to an old wooden door marked with a Jewish star and tries to find something inside. He started there showing his inspiration and the fans were in heaven :) We were able to go inside and let me tell you it was humbling. SOOOOO old. SOOOO sacred. Pews lined the walls and there was a chained off pew where and old Rabbi used to sit that nobody had sat in for 400 years. Except the Nazis when they invaded and wanted to show the utmost disrespect. We then went over to the Jewish cemetery which had the deepest level of reverence I have ever felt. It is a place where Jews had to be buried on their own ground. Well Jews didn't own a lot of land so for thousands of years they literally buried them on top of one another and then added more and more dirt. The tombstones were dark rotting stones with green moss. The likes of which I have never seen in my life. Jutting up everywhere and even trees grew around them. There was a section where still born babies were buried that I didn't even go over to. For a while when people used to vandalize the cemetery they would throw dead animals over the gates. Anything dead that touches a Jewish cemetery has to be buried there so there was also a mounded animal area. All the men in our group had to wear a Yamaka in these sacred places to show their respect to God that he is the greater Man. I am deeply saddened with the persecution the Jews went through. We went through some cool Jewish museums and another lavish Synagogue. The Spanish Synagogue was CRAZY! The ENTIRE thing was hand painted. THE ENTIRE inside. It made me realize that our Mormon Temples are not the only lavish worshipping places. We ate at another delicious place that Steve recommended and I got some liver spread! MMM. That with some berries on toast. We chatted for like 2 hours with a fun older couple from Iowa. It was like there was no age between us :) They asked if we minded if they drank beer in front of us since they knew we were Mormon. haha. Of course we don't mind. After that Warren and I roamed Old Town and worked our way to New Town to see some Lego Museum Everett insisted was there in Prague- sure enough we found it. We watched a little Czech family with two boys. The oldest talked the youngest into sharing a certain Lego set that HE wanted. Classic. All kids are the same! :) Then we took a 3 hour nap. lol. Everyone keeps making sure I am doing ok :) And I am. I feel great. Lots of walking but I haven't even got swollen feet yet. I'm pretty much in heaven here.
After our mongo naps we ventured out to take night shots of the Astronomical clock and bought a ticket to go up to the viewing tower. The views were awesome. I paid 10 crowns to use a public bathroom again. And it was horrible because the bathroom attendant just sat there smoking in this little tiny bathroom. yuck. After that we wandered back to the Charles Bridge and marveled at the night lit castle on the hill. After that we found ourselves back at our pizza joint for the third night in a row. lol. So yummy! We came back to the hotel and visited with Ruby and Brad for HOURS. Its 2 in the morning and we embark the ship tomorrow after a little drive to Germany. Warren and I are having a BLAST. So grateful we got to come.
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment