The biggest collection of MySpace 2.0 Layouts online
MySpaceLayouts

Friday, July 18, 2008

Young and free, only seventeen....


I had way too much fun tonight! :) So, I just got back from the movie premiere of Mamma Mia! and i have so much to write about! 
First- a quick movie review... Meryl Streep was the perfect actress to play this role. She was fresh and raw and fun. I totally adore the little gal that plays Sophie. She was beautiful. Pierce Brosnan made me giggle a little bit- he's a looker, but no singer. Yes, there was definite "cheese" to which i loved, and what people must remember is that it is a musical. It is so hard to take a musical and make a movie, but i think that they scored with this one. Favorite scene? Right before the wedding when Meryl sings "winner takes it all" ahh! It was brilliant. 
So next are my feelings of the overall effect this movie had on me. Talk about bringing back some fond memories! I went to this musical in LA in 2001 with my Drama club at Dixie High. I was 17. This was the best school year of my life. I had so much fun during this one year, that during the dancing queen song, yes... i teared up while all the other crazies around me were hyperly engrossed. It was my first year at Dixie High. I was the new girl. I had just spent the last year at Tuacahn High School for the performing arts, and i was ready for some normality. Not only did all my friends take me in at Dixie, they showed me a great time beyond just singing and dancing and acting. My first week at school (and not knowing a soul) i was asked on a date. We will spare names here for the sake of all involved, but this "boy" was cute, and popular, and i still count this as my "first date" I felt like the shiz. Yes, I used that word- {we're flashing back to high school right?} I can still remember the smell of Dairy Queen after the football game. Good memories. All of them. And then there was my new best friend Liz Carter, whom we had a total ball together. Sharing gossip, trashing boys, {We seriously had a "boy bashing" book where we wrote things about our X's even though we were totally and helplessly still in love with.} and spending time choreographing dances, toilet-papering, and sleepovers- {What is high school without sleepovers?} I had enough fun during that year to make up for the not-so-cool years that preceded that one. I also "fell away from the fold" from my oh so obsessive dance school that was the best thing i ever did for myself. {It was actually all because of that boy to whom i started ditching my classes because i wanted to spend time with him and the movies.} I played some awesome roles in our school plays that year. I found out that there were "normal" people who were in musicals at high school. Rehearsals were "unprofessional" {Like... what should high schoolers be other than unprofessional??} but such a breath of fresh air after the way my life was headed up until that point. I just plain "hung out" I made time to fun high school things like football games and pool parties- and like going camping with boys during spring break. {We pulled the ol' I'm sleeping at her house trick} OH!! and then the time that we slept on our Drama teachers' lawn- His face that morning was freaking hilarious! I went to every single dance. {remember that at Tuacahn high- the pickins were slim!} Yes. The dances. They were so fun. And as we do it here in UTAH- the asking is just as fun as the dance itself! :) I was Miss City of St. George during this year- and as a 17 year old priss, it wasn't all about the community service-if ya know what i mean!! 



Weird. But i feel so old now. yes yes- I'm only 24, but kids put 5 years on ya- so that makes me..... 39? yes, that feels about right- that mixed with my terrible memory- my Jr. Year of High school feels like forever ago. And to top it all off, I wouldn't have met my husband if all of these series of events that happened during that year didn't happen, so now we are where we are. A tired mom after a long day- reminiscing about high school and trying to decide what to cook the boys for breakfast in the morning.

6 comments:

April Nielsen said...

I've done that before too where you somehow start to re-live the high school days triggered by one memory or another. Now when did we meet?? Didn't come to snow canyon middle? or was it not until high school?

Erika said...

Ah, we just saw that movie last night too! I absolutely loved it! I have always wanted to see the stage version, and now it is a must! Sorry, I didn't call you back...I've been at teacher trainings the last 2 days. I hope you are doing well.

Vickie said...

Everytime I think about high school it makes me want to puke. I'm so glad it's over. Luckily I've had a good ten years to repress bad memories. But I'm so excited to see Mama Mia. I'm glad you liked it so much.

Justin and Kenzee said...

Yes, the "dance school" was often way too serious. My first year of college at BYU was just as liberating as your junior year of high school. Those walks down memory lane are so bittersweet. I often wish I could go back. And I CAN'T WAIT to see Mamma Mia!

The Condies said...

Tais!!! Oh my heck!! I couldn't help but get a good laugh from the pics and your comments! Seriously, what a fun time in our lives, eh? I totally know what you mean when you miss it and feel so old! And I had totally forgotten about our sneaking to camp out with boys event over spring break...Oh Johnny T. What fun we had together! I definitely miss those days and have to say that when I went with my family to Mamma Mia at the Capital theatre I couldn't help but think of you...especially because that's where we went to Aida (thanks again BTW, that was amazing!) and then to Lagoon. We seriously had some amazing times together.

Amy and the boys said...

Wo. How are we friends? :P

I'm glad I'm too old to remember most of high school. And agree with Vickie about puking. Your memories will fade over the next few years so keep writing them down. hehe