The biggest collection of MySpace 2.0 Layouts online
MySpaceLayouts

Monday, April 14, 2008

Natural vs Epidural


Here is a layout I did 2 1/2 years ago right after Bentley was born. I pulled it out (I'm totally in the waiting game right now) and read about my 2 birth experiences all over again. People keep asking me how I want to do it this time. Well.... Besides the fact that you can't ever REALLY plan how you want labor and delivery to go- Here's my soapbox about it all- 
Everett was delivered at The Birth and Family Place in Holladay Utah with my Midwife - completely natural (and standing up for that matter) . I was so pro-natural birth for the entire 9 months leading up to Everett's birth - I read 12 books on the matter and here were my major "promo" points about it all: 
1- Dr.'s don't care about you as much- they are "in and out" and they want your birth to be convenient for THEM. Midwifes are there for you throughout the entire process- never leave your side, give you the freedom to walk around, let you eat when you are hungry, and let you explore positions.
2- Having an epidural means that you are "drugged" up and can't enjoy the birth as much.
3- Our bodies were meant to have babies naturally 
4- Pitocin can stall the labor and result in a c-section
5- Being able to feel the entire process makes you closer with your baby because he is also going through a traumatic transition. 
So......- that night was seriously the hardest, most painful, exhausting night of my life. I actually "un-dilated" from a 9 back down to an 8- It was so long!!! I was so determined that I would do it naturally that I never felt like giving in and getting meds- (I didn't have that option at the birth center anyways) After about 24 hours of labor total-( 10 transition and 3 hours pushing alone)- He FINALLY came- and I was completely empowered. It was a total adrenaline rush. I will always be proud that I did  it naturally, and I always say that I became a woman that night. I SWORE that was the only way to do it, and that I was going to deliver my next one just the same. 
BUT BUT BUT .... then I had Bentley. 
We were in St. George when Bentley was born. I didn't have the option of a midwife in a birth center- I could  have a home birth or a hospital birth- NOTHING in between- Although I wasn't thrilled about it- I got a Dr. and just told myself that I would go natural against everyone there and everything they would be telling me to do. After back labor became unbearable I screamed  for an epidural. The staff told me that it wouldn't be effective because I was already an 8 and it wouldn't even kick in in time to offer relief. I knew better (IT was still 5 hours after they gave me the epidural that he was born) I LOVED it. I relaxed,  I took a freakin nap!  And I was  MORE aware and felt MORE connected to my baby because I wasn't so completely in pain. I barely tore, I didn't hemorrhage like with Everett, and I recovered way faster. 
CONCLUSION:
1--Dr.'s ARE indeed more "routine" "in and out" and aren't there for you the entire time like Midwifes are- (I had really horrible nurses with Bentley, so in that way, I really prefer the Midwife.)
2- An epidural does NOT make you all "drugged up" preventing you from bonding with your baby- it in fact gives you more attention to baby and less (none) on the pain! 
3- An epidural helps you to relax and LET the baby come- the pain with Everett made it longer because I was so tense and stressed and my body was naturally trying to resist the pain-
4-I am still against inducing (let me clarify.... PLANNING to induce for convenience reasons. I know that some women have complications when they are weeks over due, and at that point I think it's okay to induce) but not from the get go- give your body a chance to do it on it's own FIRST! 
So, after all that I WILL say that if I have short labors like some women I know, I would TOTALLY have them natural. Pain can be tolerated for a certain amount of time, but my labors are so stinkin long, I am going to plan for an epidural this time. 

With all that being said- You can come any day now!!!

6 comments:

Amy and the boys said...

Here Here on the epidural! I join you in the club for "long labor." I agree with everything you just said!

~..kass..~ said...

1st of very "hooah" (army lingo) of you to do it all natural! Way to go! I with both of mine wanted too feel it for as long as I could and had the epidural around the 8 marker as well. And same as you they told me that it would be very effective. It worked just fine for me. I can't wait to see this new little boy!!

Erika said...

There was a reason I was born in the times I was. I am all about the epidural...but you already know that. I'm just excited for the new one to get here. COME ALREADY!

Tonya Joy said...

Hey little mommy!!!!

I'm just so proud of you! I can't wait to see the little guy - and am glad everything went OK during labor & delivery!

Lots of love, sis!

krista jo said...

thanks for the info and experience...very insightful! Although I am not pregnant (and probably won't be for awhile!) I have always debated this question! Good luck with the next one...and it does look like he is very ready to come!!

Candice Warby said...

I love you insight and appreciate the knowledge from someone who has done it both ways. I'm amazed that you stuck it out and did it natural. Good for you.