The biggest collection of MySpace 2.0 Layouts online
MySpaceLayouts

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Mar 30th

Today I want to remember...

Potty-training, potty-training, potty-training, and more potty-training. It is really exhausting and basically sucks to be honest. I am a horribly inconsistant person in general, so it's really hard to be so committed to one thing ALL day for a week +.
BUT
It'll be worth it to suck it up for a week and get-her-done.
Sawyer is a SMART little dude. So I knew he was capable to pick up on this- and that's why I even decided to attempt this beast-
and NOW
{because it's Spring Break for the boys and it's been horrible weather so we can't go out and play anyways... but that's a different post....}
but also because we are going to Disneyland the first week in May and I am NOT carting around Dipes.

A lot of people have asked my advice and what works for us, since I have a little experience with BOY potty-training. So here are some things that I advise...
{I really got the shell of my methods from Dr. Phil, so see here for HIS method...}

Everett was potty trained JUST after Benny was born and before his 2 year old b-day- he was 19 months- Benny took a little longer{ he had really bad constipation and therefore was terrified of the "hurt" that the potty did when he had to stinky} He was barely 2. It also REALLY helps to have the older siblings show him how to potty. Kind of replaces the doll.

You really have to have a block of time- like a week to focus on it. We are always out and about and it would never work with our regular schedule. Sucks, but put EVERYTHING on hold for a week. I follow him around in big boy underwear- It really helps to have underwear that has the characters they love- His are Thomas the Train- he loves em, and it makes it exciting.

I am a big fan of the potties that sit IN the regular potty. Not only do I think those other potties look disgusting to clean {I already have enough toilets to wash} but It really helped my other boys not to fear the regular potty when we were out at the store, etc. I've heard of some moms who have to re-potty train their kids off the little stand alone ones to the real one - I'm NOT doing this twice.

So- I have a giant cup of chocolate chips in the bathroom and he gets one of those EVERY time he tries- even if it's a second- I really think it helps them to want to try more and I never make it a negative if he doesn't go. {I did sticker charts with Benny and Everett in place of the chocolate chips, it worked well for a while, but then they got bored of it- my kids ALWAYS want chocolate}

I basically make him drink water all day everyday- helps there be more opportunity for him to practice-

Cold Turkey. I don't use pull-ups- I think they confuse more than help. I didn't with the other 2, but this time I sneak on a diaper for naps and bed times still just in case {I really don't want to wash sheets all day}- but I don't let him see the diaper and I don't say the word "diaper" he's been mostly dry during those times- a few "accidents" when he wakes up before me and he's been in his own bed BTW!!! YAY! So I really think it's more a matter of catching it in the morning- he lays there for a while before calling out for us. Oh, and I put the diaper OVER his underwear so he doesn't feel the diaper and revert back to old habits.

I have kept books by the potty and we sit and read- It's really important to "catch" the pee the first time. Before starting to train I really made myself aware of the time of day that he stinkies, it really helps again, to CATCH it. Then he can see what it's like for the first time.

Then, we have a "BIG ONE" big chocolate treat- kisses or eggs as they are now- and he ONLY gets one if he pees or poos in there. NO exceptions. He cried and cried the other day "big one! big one!" but I am a stickler.

It can be discouraging at times, but don't give up!!! {I keep telling myself} And if you're easily distracted - like me- I set the timer every 15 -30 mins so I can remind myself to take Sawyer up and try.

Isn't his bum so stinkin' {pardon the pun} CUTE in big boy underwear.

1 comment:

Anjalique said...

This was good for me to read...I decided to put off potty training Vivian until we moved. Well, we've moved and I still haven't started! Time to bite the bullet, I guess.