The biggest collection of MySpace 2.0 Layouts online
MySpaceLayouts

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bedtime Battlefield royale night 1

Shoot me. Tonight reminds me why we are in this mess in the first place. Why Bentley is a permanent attachment to our bed. I am so frazzled and pissed and sad and hurt all in one that i don't even want to attempt another night of this. But I HAVE to. I've had it. He's almost 3 and we finally just got Everett out of our bed a few months ago- I can't take another year with Benny in our bed. I can't take another week- this is it. We HAVE to stick to it. Break down of tonight's' scene:
7pm bath time
7:30-"we're hungry" feed them some more chicken nuggets- then the want yogurt in bed while i read them a story. I read two separate stories to each of them because lately i have decided they need more individual time with me. 
8:00 brush teeth and lights out
-------------------------------------
28- I tallied them- 28 times Bentley gets out of his bed and comes to the door- he thinks it's funny- giggling as i help him back to his bed. "I wanna sleep in your bed""Daddy!""Lay with me!" are some of the desperate cries that he tries. Then he has to go potty. I let him in the dark as to not stimulate him more. Back to bed. He cries and cries and poor Everett through it all manages to fall asleep at 9- I go in and  rub Bentley's tummy to calm him down again and i explain that there isn't room in mommy and daddy's' bed anymore. I tell him that he can do it! "I can't ! Lay with me" I leave. It is quiet for a little while and then he starts whining again. 9:30 He says he needs to potty again. yeah right, but i let him tinkle for 3 seconds anyway, in the dark and back to bed we go. 9:50 he comes to the door again 9 times. I say very little and  keep escorting him back to his bed. 10:15 I take in a picture of me with him and tell him that i am "laying with him" as i put the frame by his pillow. He doesn't care for it too much, but it calms him down for a little bit. Another series of crying and "lay with me!" and ANOTHER potty trip. uhhhhh. frustration. I am crying to Warren and we are discussing methods. 
10:50 all is quiet and i peek  in to see him asleep after THREE hours of  trial and error.  
Okay, so i have read and read some more all the theories and methods of getting him out of our bed- THIS SUCKS! I hate it. It's so hard and heart-breaking yet, he is so smart and so completely capable of soothing himself to sleep. He has done it before when i have been quietly nursing Sawyer in his room. I have spoiled them by laying with them every night  AND during naps until they fall asleep. Until recently, I hadn't noticed how many kids are tucked in and left to coo, talk, and play themselves to sleep. I NEED that time too! Especially when Warren leaves for 4 months and i have Bedtime Battles all to myself.
He comes into our bed at his usual time of 2 am, and i let him cuddle for a while, and then i  take him back into his bed. I have no idea what time he came back AGAIN, but i wake up this morning with him snuggled into our sheets. We will have to be consistent and take one battle at a time. 
Today's purchase list: 
1- A new mattress (twin size) just for Bentley (we already have one for Everett) as we wait to find the bunk beds i want 
2-Sheets that match Everett's pirate ones (they can't be different of course)
3-A fan for their stuffy bed-room, maybe the sound can calm him better tonight

4 comments:

Vickie said...

I think getting kids to sleep through the night on their own is one of the hardest things about having kids. Stay strong and consistent and he'll get the idea. I've heard that the first few days are always the hardest. You can do it! You're so awesome Taisley!

Justin said...

You just reminded me why I am not mature enough for children. Thanks! Also, I have to admit, I watched the Twilight trailer. Warren just may shoot me but it looked pretty interesting. Not interesting enough to make me read the book but I think it may end up being a good movie.

Erika said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is rough. I really hope it gets better for you guys, but I'm sure it will with your persistence. You guys will do great!

Candice Warby said...

Taisley, just keep it up. It sounds like you are doing it exactly right. Just make sure that he knows you are serious, and that whining won't help his case. Even if he comes back into your room 40 times. I'm so sorry - I know that it must be horribly frustrating. But after they realize you mean it, it will get much better, and pretty quickly. Best of luck.